Its annoying for end-users when they have to download the .Net 3.5 Framework via Microsofts site when installing your applications:( So why not deploy your app with the .Net framework included!
Here are the steps to add a Setup project to your VS2008 application packaged with a .Net 3.5 installer.
1. Create a new C# .Net 3.5 project (in my case a Visual C#/Windows/Windows Forms Application).
2. Right click the project title (not the solution title), and go to Properties | Publish | Prerequisites.
- You will see that Windows Installer and .Net 3.5 are selected as default.
- Now, check ‘Download prerequisites from same location as my application‘.
- This avoids the end-user have the massive .Net 3.5 Framework internet based download.
- Make sure the ‘Create setup program to install prerequisites’ at the top of the window is checked.
3. Right click on the Solution title and go to Add | New Project | Other Project Types | Setup & Deployment. Choose Setup Wizard and then OK.
- In the setup wizard click Next, choose the 1st option in (VS 2008), ‘Create a setup for a windows application’.
- Next, choose the project outputs. For this example ‘Primary output from myApp’ will suffice.
- Next, add a readme file if you want (I did not want), and click Next or Finish.
4. Right click the Setup project title (Setup3pt5 in my case, see pic below), go to Properties | Prerequisites.
- Check ‘Download prerequisites from same location as my application’.
Steps 5 – 10….. (more…)